Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday's Inspirational Scripture & Song

Matthew 25: 34-40 (NLT)

 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink?  Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing?  When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’"


This summer I have been substitute teaching (co-teaching/assisting) in my daughter's 3rd grade Sunday School class. Each month they learn about a different virtue. This month's virtue was love. It seems like such a simple concept that everyone struggles to fully grasp. This month we talked about the ways that we can show love to others:

-by treating them the way we want to be treated
-by putting others first
-by forgiving others

It's so amazing how timeless and ageless this study is. Even though I am supposed to be the teacher, this is a lesson that  cannot be reinforced enough. This lesson reminded me that it's so easy to say I love you; but when given the chance, do we actually show it? Love is a verb, an action word, meaning it is truly shown through our actions. What do our actions actually show? Are we going to think about how our words and actions will affect someone else before we say or do something? Are we going to put others first or focus on fulfilling our wants? Are we going to forgive the person that has hurt us, or hold a grudge? And are we going to only show love to those who show us love, or are we going to show it to those we feel are undeserving of our love or unlovable? The entire month that we have been studying this, this is the song that repeatedly came to my mind.



Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below! I'd love to hear from you!

Have a great week!
Keisha


No comments:

Post a Comment